- Read the hostel's microsite thoroughly. These have a full description of the hostel along with pictures too.
- Read past customer comments and ratings.
- Book in advance to ensure you get the type of room you want. If you are looking for a private double/twin room, but leave booking until the last minute, you may not get the type of room you want.
- Make sure to bring a lock with you. All hostels provide lockers for valuables, but some provide the lockers actually in the room, you'll need to have a key to lock it.
- If you plan on partying in the destination make sure there is no curfew in the hostel where you are staying.
- If you want to be able to cook for yourself to save money on eating out, make sure the hostel you want to stay in provides kitchen facilities.