- Drink lots of water. Keep your body hydrated everyday to maintain healthy nails.
- Store nail polish in the fridge to maintain a smooth consistency. To prevent the cap from sticking applying a little vaseline around it.
- Touch up your manicure on a daily basis to prevent chips and cracks. Do not go overboard with your manicure.
- Apply hand lotion and massage your palm of your hand with the thumb of your other hand. This will improve blood circulation. Work your way of all over your hand and repeat with your other hand.
- Your nails depend on your healthy diet.
- Use a nail file or an emery board to shape your nails. File in one direction only. Do not use the seesaw motion. To shorten the nail, use the course side of the emery board first and finish with the finely textured side.
- Avoid using your nails as tools such as picking, scratching, digging, etc.
- Wear rubber gloves when you do chores that involve continual submersion in water or contact with harsh detergents or chemicals.
- Use products containing alcohol, especially perfumed lotions, sparingly. These items can make nails prone to breaking.
- Increase the amount of calcium in your diet.