In what way does it help? Hair follicles are amazing little hair production factories which thrive on a constant supply of healthy, oxygenated blood delivered by a circulatory system in good working order. Drawing the nutrients and oxygen needed for new cell creation, these new cells push up through the hair follicle where they eventually die and harden to form new hair.
Here are two scalp massage procedures you can do by yourself for healthy hair maintenance. They are easily done each day while showering and washing the hair.
- For this massage use the balls of the fingers (not the finger tips) in rapid movements over the scalp.
- Move the fingers in circular movements firmly over the whole scalp starting from the front of the head and moving back to the nape of the neck.
- From the nape of the neck use the same motion to move forward to the front of the head.
- Use the balls of the fingers of both hands (not the finger tips) and spread them out over the scalp.
- Press firmly and rotate the skin. Do not move the fingers over the scalp. Rotate the skin in one area then move to another area of the scalp until the whole area is covered. This should be a slow, firm, kneading movement.
- Rotating Action: The fingers of one hand can move in one direction, e.g. clockwise, and the fingers of the other hand can move in the other direction. Keep the fingers of one hand still while the other rotates and visa versa.
- Start at the nape of the neck
- Then around to the ears
- Then around to the front hairline
- Then across the top of the head back to the nape of the neck
Healthy hair is the result of proper diet and exercise to make sure the body is working well on the inside as well as proper care and attention to the scalp and hair on the outside.
Perform scalp massage each day and enjoy the benefits of great looking, healthy hair.